In an advertisement from 1875 it shows that John R. Wooten was holding himself out as an Abstracter of Chambers County property thus the beginning of what has become Chambers County Abstract Co., Inc. Sometime there after Mr. Wooten was joined by Humphrey Hugh (Uncle Dump) Jackson to form Jackson & Wooten, Abstracters. Around the turn of the 20th century, we do not know exactly when, Humphrey Hugh (Uncle Dump) Jackson bought out Mr. Wooten and changed the name to Chambers County Abstract Company.
Chambers County Abstract Company was operated by “Uncle Dump” Jackson until 1929 when he sold it to his nephew, Guy C. Jackson, Jr., who owned it until his death in 1980 when it passed to his son, Guy C. Jackson III, who passed the business on to his children upon his death in 2009. The company is now operated by Guy Robert Jackson.
From 1938 to 1978 the Jacksons leased Chambers County Abstract to R. L. “Bob” Hall. In addition to operating the title company Bob Hall was also a surveyor and real estate developer. The Jackson family continues to have a close relationship with the Hall family; Robert L. “Bobby” Hall, Jr. who is president of Chambers County Abstract.
Operating out of space in the Chambers County Courthouse until the mysterious fire of April 28, 1935 destroyed the structure; Guy C. Jackson, Jr., then the County Judge, recalled pitching the “tract books” out the second story window of the burning courthouse to save them from the flames.
Shortly before the courthouse fire, the Anahuac Oil Field was discovered and Anahuac became a boom town. The work of providing Abstracts of Title for those buying leases during this boom, crowded the company’s operating space in the courthouse and typists had to sit at small desks in the hallways to get their work done.
Following the courthouse fire, Chambers County Abstract Company was housed in a hastily constructed metal clad, wood frame, building across the street where it shared space with the law offices of Guy C. Jackson, Jr. In 1947 a more substantial brick building was constructed across the parking lot and Chambers County Abstract Company and the law offices of Guy C. Jackson, Jr. moved in. In a short time, it was clear that there wasn’t enough room to efficiently operate the Abstract Company and an additional brick building was built in 1950 adjoining the first, just for the Abstract Company. Chambers County Abstract Company has been operating in this brick building and in this location ever since.